Thursday, December 17, 2009

To study or not to study..

It’s been long since I have written something for my blog, or written anything for that matter. And today when I am here, I shouldn’t be.. I have taken an off from office and I should be doing nothing but studying.. but allow me to justify my (extra curricular) activities by saying “I am tuning myself to my study mode” :P

 

Anyways, this is supposed to be my second last semester of Masters, and InshaAllah, I’ll be done with Masters in July 2010.

But sometimes I wonder whether it is of any use studying all this or not. For e.g. two out of three courses I am taking this semester are pretty interesting and knowledgeable, but all the knowledge gained (that is, if I do gain any) will be lost as I won’t be able to implement any of it. I am not at this point in a position to implement them. But then again, if I learn them now, I hopefully won’t have to learn it the hard way, that is, if I remember all the things I learn, and if I forget then it would mean I would have to learn them all over again the hard way. Then what exactly am I doing here?

 

But then again I don’t expect to gain any technical knowledge in Masters, now, do I? We were supposed to do that in BS and after that you are on your own.

 

I had a conversation with a friend a while back, and she was of the opinion that if you sit in a class for three hours, every week, for an entire semester and then also give exams, you are bound to learn SOMETHING.. and she is right. You ARE bound to learn something.

But… Do I pay attention in the class?? (well, that’s my fault only) and there are still a lot of other things.. would I learn enough? would I remember enough? Would I be able to implement or make use of it? Ever?? Would saying that I have a Masters degree (once I inshaAllah get it) would be correct? Would I have the same amount of knowledge a Masters degree holder should have?

Or am I just wasting my time?

Well, right now, I AM.. I should be studying.. I have a paper tomorrow..

u15799552

 

 

 

 studying-main_full

But hey, people, who read this some day.. share your experiences.. am I the only one feeling this or do all of us go through this at some point in time… :|

6 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all I would like to say that yes it happens and its human nature and I too feel the same way as you, thats we see doctors advising people to take a break.

There are certain perspectives, that come in to play like:

1- Either we have been studying for too long.

2- We have had our priorities set differently then at bachelors level.

3- Its really really tough to study with a job.

4- We have become more focused towards the practical aspects of life and some what neglecting the theoretical aspects, thats why these things appear some what useless.

Intricate said...

@Muhammad Ammad Saleem
Good to hear that someone else feels the same way..

1. Yes we've been studying too long. But imagine this, what would it be like if you had taken two, three years break between your BS and MS. Wouldn't it be the same. We have people in our classes and offices who HAVE taken it a break, and more often than not, they are caught saying the same thing. Maybe not as intense, but somewhat the same. Here I mean that they say that they too don't have time to study or not in the mood to study, they too have assignments pending which they don't know how they'll complete. So maybe, that is not the reason after all.

2. Totally agreed.

3. Do you really think so? What do we do in weekends? Why do we need to rest so much? And on weekends I am not actually resting, meaning I don't sleep much or anything, I do the same thing I do on weekdays, sit in front of computer all day long, the difference is that I watch movies on weekends and work on weekdays. Why do I have to watch so many movies?
But it's correct, in one way, because we did not have jobs in Bachelors and we were more determined then.

4. Maybe.

:)

Thanks for your comments Ammad. :)

Haris Gulzar said...

Well I'd say, this is totally natural. This doesn't only happen while studying, many other tasks get pending because you don't feel like doing them because one reason or the other. And at times you have to force yourself to do those tasks. It definitely gets difficult but who said life is going to be easy :-)

And besides I just read a quotation that I think relates to this post. "Sometimes the object of the journey is not the end but the journey itself."

rambler said...

Hmm...Well lady calm yourself, I never used to pay attention in my MS classes..I was also requested (not kicked out:P) to leave the class once because of my excessive text messaging and in some classes I tended to tune myself out so well that I wouldn't even remember a thing:)

But still, I manage to learn a *few* things (*phew*) and as for application, everyone is open to ideas. If you think you won't be able to apply, you can help others by telling them how to do it...right?

Intricate said...

@Haris
Yup.. forcing yourself to do something is really difficult.. and when you have to do a lot of things forcefully, it starts getting on your nerves..
Really like the quote.. :)
Thanks for your comments :)

Intricate said...

@rambler..
Yup you are right, I can always tell others to do something that I have learnt and know would be a better thing to do.. but let's see.. that depends on if I have actually learnt something..
But good to know that I am not the only one who didn't really listen in classes :P :D