Saturday, February 21, 2009

Friend - a relative term

The statement popped into my head while I was pressing my clothes.. Pressing is such a boring job that all kinds of inane stuff moves through my head while I am trying to get done with it..

But come to think of it, in my case, this statement does turn out to be true, very true.
Friend IS a relative term.
I am not trying to be philosophical or something, in fact, I hate philosophy. But this is so true, if you just think about it.

I don't know why I started to write this post, but I thought I have to, I just have to, even if I don't write anything worth reading. :P

So, back to the point.. I say friend is a relative term. You ask why... because I think everyone has their own definition of Friend, of what friends are supposed to be.
Friendship might mean different thing to different people.
Some people may give this relationship more importance than it calls for. And some might not understand why it's worth anything.

The importance may be learnt after a broken friendship, or the importance might be lost after realizing how much friends can hurt. The importance may break on you when you have a blast with your friends, or when you miss them.

But the thing is it might not be what you think it is. And others are sure to have a different opinion then you.

For example, when we were kids we all had a different perspective. A friend was a person who had the most expensive toys, and was also willing to share them with you. At that time friends changed and it wasn't that hurting.

I remember every other person used to be my friend. My favorite dialogue was "Dost nahi ho yaar."
Till college I used to threaten my friends with
"Mein tumhein apnay dost kee post se kharij kar doon geen" :P

And as I grew up the definition changed in a drastic manner. Now I think a million times before giving the title of friend to anyone.

And that works, because eventually, when they do what I expect them to do, it doesn't hurt that much, and it doesn't matter that much, and in the end you think that all that happened was for a good reason.

Another example, for some people breaking up a friendship is not that difficult, because for them friends aren't that important and thus they don't care. For them the definition is quite different.

Hence proved,
'Friend' is a relative term.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well friends and friendship is not that much difficult for me but yes I do have altitudes of friendship.
I do not now put my all friends in a same sub category of friendship. but that doesn't matter as the parent category "friend" is same when its time to do some thing for some one :)

Anonymous said...

Thats the reason why i dont press my cloths,, so i dont have to be indulged in these strange thoughts,, may be my maid does...

well i think friend IS a relative term, A can be friend of B but the reverse is may not be true


--
be champions !!

Intricate said...

@yousuf
The first time I read 'A can be friend of B but the reverse is may not be true' guess what popped into my mind?
"DISCRETE MATHEMATICS" I thought you were trying to prove transitivity or something. But then I read it again.

And yeah you are TOTALLY right. :)

Syed Faizan Ali Jaffri said...

meray khayal se log dosti kartey hi kaahan hain...!!
u said k logo ko farq nai paharta dosti thorney se...
wo log dosti thori naa kartey hain,
unlogo k sirf apney kaam se matlab hota hai :)

Intricate said...

@Syed Faizan Ali Jaffri..
Agreed. The people who can break a friendship that easily were never your friends in the first place.