Friday, August 28, 2009

Those magical, magical days…..

While I was chatting with a few friends of mine, at night, a memory long buried popped up in my head and demanded attention. And I asked The Writer, when I didn’t think he would know a thing about it, let alone remember it;

“Did you in your childhood read/heard the story Podna Podni?”

And as a reply, I got an excerpt from the story itself. He remembered the full story word for word. We went on discussing our favorite parts of the story. Mine was

“Guhs guhs mere kaan mein guhs” :P

(While on another window I started narrating the whole Podna Podni story to a friend, who had somehow missed it in her childhood).

This is a story I heard in Kassette Kahani. I don’t know how many of you have spent your childhood hearing these Kassette Kahani’s but I know a major part of mine was spent listening, and relistening to them. Always getting my parents to buy me the volumes I didn’t already have. Each Kassette Kahani would have an advertisment of the Kassette next in the series, and then I would want that one too. Traded it with friends just so that I could hear the entire collection. Although some of these stories were the Urdu translation of fairy tales like “Jack and the Beanstalk” and “Cinderella”, these would be the ones I have had had a pleasure of reading as well, but hearing it was another kind of magic.

In the Kassette, the story of Podna Podni is narrated by a Nani amaan to little kids.

For those of you who are wondering; Podna is the name of a little bird (am not sure what the English word for Podna is, was it Sparrow?) Anyways, the King’s men caught Podni and then Podna sets out on a mission to rescue his Podni from “Raja”. Along the way, he meets ants, ocean.. and something else, I still can’t remember what the third thing was, these three after hearing Podna’s noble mission, offers him their help, in reply to which, Podna says;

“Guhs guhs mere kaan mein guhs”

In the end, of course, like all kid’s stories, Podna rescues Podni from Raja with the help of his three friends…

This post is in the memory of all those days, we spent reading and hearing fairy tales. The time long gone, but which still gives pleasure. Those were truly the days… :D

9 comments:

() /\/\ /-\ /\/\ /-\ said...

Nice post.....
Childhood memories.... :)

No idea of kasette kahani yaar but
I used to listen "bulbul ka bacha", "machli ka bacha pani mia se nikla" and other shweet nursery rhymes.... i still remember few of them.
i really miss childhood days when we had small tensions like "meri guriya kay baal nai ban rahey :(, bhai ne meri toffee kha li" :D

Intricate said...

@()/\/\/-\/\/\/-\

Thanks :D

Yeah.. hear those nursery rhymes from a kid now and you'll love it even more. :D
And true about the small tensions part too. :)
Let's just enjoy this part of our life as well. Let's make the most of it. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for remininding that part of my life to me too, I also used to listen to Kasette Kahani, and what a coincidence

I also heard this story and to your credit for reminding me the story from just the one sentence “Guhs guhs mere kaan mein guhs” (Come on get in to ear).

The only other story of the series that I have glimpses in my memory is of Jack and the Bean Stock.

As they say "Aaah the GOOD OLD DAYS".

Thank you so much and keep it up.

Ash said...

Gawd Bina ji!
What you made me to think of :D
i had a huge colelction og cassette kahnai :D

I remeber they were so fascinating attimes that i used to invite my all friebds at my place just to listen them again n again :D

Blissful days :D

Haris Gulzar said...

Ohh what great memories, and doesn't it feel so good to recall them :-). Makes you feel nostalgic.

Have u heard the Ghazal "Barish ka pani" sung by Jagjit singh. Thats a very close narration of those beautiful days :-)

Intricate said...

@Muhammad Ammad Saleem

Haan jee.. Good old days.. :)

So there are quite a few people who heard Kassette Kahanis.. :D

@Ash..
Ooey.. that would have been quite an experience.. inviting all friends to listen to Kassette Kahani.. cooolll :D :D

True, blissfull, blissfull days. :D Glad we had them :)

Intricate said...

@Haris Gulzar..

"Woh kagaz ke kashti woh barish ka pani" That ghazal, yeah have heard, not a big fan of ghazals though, but yes, this one does narate the feeling quite well. :)

Wakas Mir said...

I think I remember the podna a bit :P thx for reminding..

Intricate said...

@Wakas Mir
Welcome to Intricate Zone. :)
Podna was quite a memorable character, wasn't he... :)