Monday, August 24, 2009

A year gone by

I have been meaning to write this post since 1st July, 2009, but never got around to actually writing it, and until recently I had decided not to write at all.. But it’s worth a shot :)

So… 1st July, 2009 was the date I completed exactly one year at my job. One year gone by.. first year completed of the career journey. And if I think about it, a lot has changed since I graduated from University and joined my very first job. And of course, this is nothing new, it happens with every one, and so has happened with me as well.

There was a time, when I had spent a month at office and a senior had commented

“Aap ko aik maheena ho bhi gaya.. aur pata bhi nahi chala”. (You’ve been here for a month, it didn’t seem like a month to me)

I took no time in replying

“Mujhe se pochein, mujhe to aik aik din pata chala” :P

Such was the extent of my boredom, during the first month. All I was expected to do was to read documents and even edit them. It took me everything not to say

“You know na, I haven’t been hired as a technical writer, rather as a Software Engineer. My appointment letter actually says ‘Associate Software Engineer’.”

At that time, I couldn’t figure out WHY on earth was I being asked to edit some centuries old document, and put in what.. screenshots!!!!

I was also given the code of one of the projects and was asked to go through it

“Ghool ke pee lein isay”

my Boss would tell me. And this is what I tried to do, of course, I wasn’t actually able to do the same, but that did help me to understand a lot of things.

I can still remember my first meeting cum training session, where my supervisors explained the entire theme of the project on a small white board. I don’t think I remember any thing else from the meeting.. except a few terms I didn’t have a clue about.. and I wondered why everyone kept using them but I never realized those terms will become a part of my vocabulary, and I’ll be the one using them in every sentence that comes out of my mouth.. :P

My vocabulary is now punctuated with a lot of terms which don’t actually exist in the dictionary, and if they do, not at all in the sense we use them in our day to day life. The process started when I joined University.. I learnt the word Cheetah there, before that we simply used the word Genius or Einstein… and I thought the process would end there, and that I have learnt all the jargon terms.. but I was so wrong.. In this training session, the words that got my attention and got stuck in my memory were.. let me put the entire sentences here..

Code nahi phatna chaye

Peeli screen nahi aani chaye, chahe kuch ho jaye.. koi bhi screen aa jaye.. peeli screen nahi aani chaye…

Yeah.. go on, call me illiterate for not knowing these terms during bachelors, but we actually didn’t. We simply used to say, in plain terms.. “Yaar error aa gaya”

But now I use all these terms like I learnt them during my first year in this world and not the first year at job.

The first month went by slowly.. with no friends at the new place, my reserved self refusing to go and talk to any one unless and until it was absolutely necessary, avoiding a face-to-face conversation as much as possible, and using our network chat software, trying to figure out whether I’ll be editing documents all the time, or will I be given actual work someday, and then at a later time, am I Support Engineer or what, I should have joined Support instead of the so-called Development team.

But things began to roll, slowly at first, the clients called up with all the problems. In fact, my very first cut over was to go live with all the modifications. I was taken to the client side so that I can get accustomed to the environment, meet our clients and all. That cutover, went smoothly enough. Just one script refused to execute, giving an error every time we tried. I got nervous like anything.. saying things like

Phele to yeh script sahi chal rahi thi (This script worked fine before.)

Thankfully, my supervisor handled the situation pretty well, not loosing his head like I did on the face of a problematic script (:P).

And this above, is actually called a smooth enough cutover, because there are always problems.. always…

I was given a project, which can’t actually be called a project from scratch, but it wasn’t equivalent to giving support to clients either. I was to develop a new module in the existing site, and I wasn’t even able to complete that when I was given another project, I was asked to make changes (which started out as a few changes and later became a big change) in the same project (but on the existing modules).

Then came the time when I was to visit the client side and test out all the new developments and modifications. Again, my boss sensing my nervousness decided that he and my supervisor will go along with me, to make sure everything’s going fine.

My boss asked me then

How much time do you think it will take you to test out everything?

And I said something like.. two hours or maybe two days… and it actually turned out to be WEEKS!!! That time was horrible (but marvelous at the same time :D), I discovered a lot of things I had done wrong, because I didn’t know any better, I used to take the office laptop at home and worked there, then directly went to the client side the next day.

But all that going to the client side for so long, did a very good thing. Before that, I didn’t really like going to the office everyday, but after the client’s visit, I thought, going to office is much better than going to the client side, and though I hadn’t really made any friends at office, at least there was some one to talk to, I could roam about.. and that’s what I did when I came back.. I roamed about, and talked to everyone.. and I started to ease-in a bit with the environment..

Again changes were requested in the project currently deployed at the test server. And again I went through the same cycle; development, testing, testing at client side, entertaining their farmaishine (wishlist).. it was another month or so there.. and finally, a cutover.. on a SUNDAY!!!

During this time I got permanent as well.. thankfully.. I was worried that after so many problems occurring at the client side, they won’t make me a permanent employee… might even let me go.. :)

My Masters began after a month into the job as well.. so all was going at the same time, job, first project, first cutover, classes, midterms, assignments, finals… everything.. and we thought Bachelors was difficult. :P

So eventually the project ended, went live with it, and since then, it has been one project after the other, and the journey uptil now has been good. At the beginning, I took more tension then needed, but slowly I got used to it, now I don’t deliberately forget about lunch just because I have work to do. I’ll always have work to do, so better always have something to eat to go along :P

For once in my life, I am getting along with my seniors. Never during my academic life (till Bachelors) have I ever been friends with any of my seniors. My seniors didn’t know me, and I didn’t know them, that is changing (but not much), I hope for the betterment. :)

(This post, highly resembles another post of mine, doesn’t it.. can’t help it.. just love to talk about the first few months at my job :P)

So, I have grown from a fresh graduate to one-year experienced employee, from someone who sat quietly at the corner, working and only working, with no messengers connected, to a person to whom people keep telling “aik yahoo messenger hee reh gaya hai woh bhi khul lo yaar” (Only Yahoo! Messenger has not been installed, why don’t you go ahead with that too?), from a person who didn’t budge from her seat now keeps bugging people until one of them agrees to go to the tuck shop with her, from the person who came in the office, switched on her computer and started working immediately to a person who now gets everyone to go to the roof with her before starting work, from the person who completely forgot the meaning of the term lunch, now starts buzzing her lunch mates to go to lunch from noon almost every other day… and the list goes on…

I know this has been the story with everyone else, but looking back at the year makes me realize that it was a good first year, MashaAllah, Allah ka shukar, :D, hope the rest of the career is as fun, or more fun.. Let’s just keep hoping for the very best and nothing else :D

12 comments:

Hina said...

Hehe @ peeli screen... see, I am learning these words too now. Good to know the year went great, inshaAllah, you'll say the same about this year. :)

Unknown said...

It reminded me of myself :)

Very Nice year for you and I sincarely hope and pray from the bottom of my heart that you get what you desire.

Nice to see that work has a lesser priority than food (lunch), also you manage work and chat efficiently and that now you are feeling more and more comfortable in the enviornment.

I agree with you that it had been preety much the same for every one, but a few find time to look back on the year that has gone by, and even fewer find time to analyze whether they have become better or worse and what is to come next and how to prepare for it. This post of yours has all that covered and thus proves the saying true "Better Late than Never".

A lengthy post deserves at least a compareable comment, so this is a small attempt at that.

PS: No matter how lengthy the expression, do not stop yourself from expressing what you feel, cause the ones who try to stop someone from expressing do not stop themselves from expressing how or what they feel.

Intricate said...

@Hina..
Oh thank God I am not the only one who didn't know these words in Bachelors. I expected to be made fun of about this, but I still decided to include this in my post, glad I did. :D
hmm InshaAllah, and InshaAllah, a year from now you'll be writing the same thing on your blog. :)

Intricate said...

@Muhammad Ammad Saleem,
First of all, thanks a lot for the appreciation and for leaving a big comment, it really means a lot. :D

I wrote this post, and thought no one read such long a post and I should better not publish it, but I did, and one of the reasons was to save the feeling of excitement, so that some day I could come back to this post, and hopefully enjoy it. :)

Thanks for your appreciative words. :)

Haris Gulzar said...

Thats almost my story :-P. It feels so good to find software engineers talking about the way they spent their first years at their job :-).

When I joined my Job, I was made to go through online tutorials of a couple of languages for a week, and right after that, I was given a task that needed WinAPI programming (I hope atleast u know about it :-P). I got so bored in the first week but got so busy in the weeks after that...

And yeah you're right, its good that you wrote this post because whenever you'll look back at it, you'll definitely feel good Insha-Allah. I posted on my blog the email I sent to my office when I resigned, and I so love that email. It actually is a summary for me about the experiences I had during my first job.

I so want to continue writing about my experiences and to make this comment a compareable size of your post (as Ammad gave it a try :D). May you have memorable and fun filled days ahead. Ameen

Ash said...

Congratulations Bina ji1
InshaAllah; things will be coming to you in better shape with every passing day and you will love it.
Tons of good wishes and prayers form my side
for a smooth and up hill professional career,

Intricate said...

@Ash,
Thanks a lot for wishes.. :D

Intricate said...

@Haris Gulzar

It's good to see that all of you had the patience to read the ENTIRE post.
And thanks for giving comments of comparable size. :D

Oh I would love to read that resignation email. :)
Didn't write anything about your first year?

Thanks for your wishes :)

Haris Gulzar said...

Hehe...The resignation email can be found on my blog, I guess in the archives of February this year :-)

Americanising Desi said...

in this economic turmoil period when you have a job and no matter how sick it makes u, i think it is a matter to say 'shukar alhamdullilah' :)

inshaAllah a lot more goodness is on the way when we patiently wait!

while u r at it! i hope u get the best from it!

Intricate said...

@Haris Gulzar..
Cool.. would definitely read it :D

Intricate said...

@Americanising Desi
Very true.. All of us with jobs should thank Allah. :)

I hope to get the best from it too. Thanks :)