Monday, September 8, 2008

New job... New life..... :)

It has been 2 months since I started my new job, that is to say, my very first job.

(I joined on 1st July, and people told me that I should have taken a break, and now I agree with them.)

I have been meaning to write about my job since the day I started, but never actually got around to it. This is because I didn't know exactly what to write. I don't know now either but have decided to go ahead with it anyways.

So... new job.. a new phase of life. Completely new and definitely different. Utterly new for me because I didn't have any experience of free lancing or internships. Different for the same reason.

We have been doing projects throughout the four years of our bachelors. These projects included not only the programming projects, the softwares we created, but also the presentations we gave, or the researches we did and produced a report as a result. We did a Final Year Project to give us an essence of what professional projects are supposed to be like. But being in professional life in reality is different then any simulation you go through during bachelors.

And it's not only the work thing. It is basically about settling at a new place. With new people, who will play different roles in your career, they can be your supervisors, the people who'll work with you side-by-side on a project, the people who are hired with you and the people who are your seniors. It's about settling with an AC on top of your head, and you are feeling like you are sitting in an igloo. It's about getting acquainted with your workplace computer. :P (People who work with me would know what I am talking about.) It's about getting used to the working hours, though they are less then the time we spent at uni, but definitely more tiring.

It's about calling your office, your place.
In an orientation session at office, the presentor broached a question
"Can a person work at a place about which he doesn't feel like he owns it. Can he work at an office which he doesn't own?"
I sat quietly while the others nodded. My expressions must have betrayed me because the presentor pointed me out and said "Yes you tell me, is that possible." And although I wanted to say yes, he can, I instead said no. And then he explained, again because my face expressions must have betrayed me, that
"yes it is possible if the person doesn't like working at that place."

For me the answer 'yes it is possible' holds true for completely different reasons. My reason being that if I think I own the place, I'll stop working. :D :P
I'll work when I understand that I am doing a job there and I am supposed to work. If I feel like this company's owned by me then I would surely not press even a single key, would not even bother to place a ';' at the end of a statement.
But what he meant by owning a place is not literally owning the company, but he meant owning in a completely different sense. And I won't go ahead and explain what he meant, because I don't know how to explain this phenomena.


And in the end it's about enjoying... making new friends, experiencing a new side of people. And again, enjoying...
Coz it's not worth if you are unable to find an element of enjoyment. Enjoyment encompases enjoying your work, loving what you do, realizing that you chose the right field, the right profession for yourself. And you realize that only when you like doing what you do. No, not like, love it. Enjoying is when you don't really want to get up in the morning, and you drag yourself to your office, but when you start working, you get so indulged in it that you don't realize the time flying by. Enjoying is when you are finally done with a project and you get that feeling of happiness, yes the feeling you get when you have finally accomplished something no matter how small. Enjoying also includes the feeling of nervousness you experience when you are assigned your first project, when you are asked to give a time line and schedule of that project, when you are expected to solve a problem, when you are expected to come up with new ideas and what not.
Enjoying is.. being there, doing it. :)

4 comments:

Hina said...

Wow, you make it sound so tempting! I've only one month's experience of working in an office environment. I didn't like it at all. The igloo thing you mentioned is really true too. The reason why I didn't like it was because I didn't get to learn anything new. On the top of that, I got to saw people backbiting... the reality of perhaps every office place. A manager or something calling the junior girl assistant "daughter"... hm, I think there should be professionalism around. Instead of "sir" or "madam" or "daughter" or "son"...why can't we just say "Yes, Mr.Blah. The project will be done."

Anyway, I wish you all the best and hope you greatly enjoy the new place of work.

PS: Nice work with the header. I like the coolness of it.

Originally Posted on:
September 9, 2008 7:42 AM

Intricate said...

@Hina
I wrote this post on a weekend and then scheduled it. Since Monday the igloo thing has turned quite the opposite. Now the AC has stopped working, I wonder if I have cursed the thing by writing the post. Now everyone wonders why I felt cold in the first place :P

Ummm about professionalism well in our office we aren't that professional we don't add any title like Mr. or Ms. or Madam or anything to that effect, we either call them by their first names or append a bhai or baji at the end. :) Just like uni, you either call your seniors by their first name or append bhai or baji. And for me it seems more friendlier. :)

About not enjoying your one working experience.... It's good that you keep learning into perspective. I intended to add this little part too when I first set to write the post, but lost that tiny detail somewhere. :)

Thanks for your wish. I hope I enjoy and learn as well.

I didn't make the header, I am not that creative, neither am I good with Photoshop. I downloaded a template but the code didn't work in blogger so I just took the photo and put "Intricate Zone" on it. :) But still thanks for liking it. :D Blue is a cool color. :)

Originally Posted on:
September 9, 2008 5:02 PM

Azeem said...

Achan what if you have worst colleague like me who's good for nothing and who always bothers you on vypress "Please yaar kaam karo Chatting na karo ", and b/w i am thinking of changing the tag line to "Please yaar kaam karo Blogging na karo".

Rofl!

Originally Posted on:
September 16, 2008 11:16 AM

Intricate said...

@Azeem...
Thank God I don't have colleagues like you :P
Kis ko pareshan kartay ho yeh keh ke Kaam karo chatting na karo :P
By the way which team are you working in, I am in ET bolay to Extra Terrestrial :P

Originally Posted on:
September 16, 2008 7:32 PM