Thursday, November 15, 2007

Working in groups

Sometimes I wonder why I didn't make any good friends in University. and I guess I have reached a reason in this last year. It's because of project groups.
All through the 12+ academic years before university, we didn't do any project. I only remember working on one project and that was a presentation in Pakistan Studies. No marks were involved though. 3 of 4 group members worked and we had a good time. Besides that I don't remember any time I had to work in groups. I even didn't like group studies and refused the one time I was offer to join a group study for maths.
Maybe I can't just work with people.
The reason I don't like group studies is I think that my way of studying is very different from others. I am a bit slow.
The group study for maths that I refused some four years back, I don't remember why. But now I think that it might be because that I would take good time to solve a sum while others won't. This taking time is because I can't concentrate very well. I try to though, but I don't really succeed. Sometimes when while I have been working for some two to three hours and I look back to what I have accomplished I realize that it shouldn't have taken that much time but don't know what to do with this concentration problem. Sometimes I think I indulge myself into other activities like while working on the computer I would start chatting or while working if I am listening to songs at the same time I would concentrate on listening or singing to the current song rather than studying :)
See I have again lost the track of thought. I was talking about groups. So since we have joined university all we have to do is work in groups. Group projects, group presentations and in just 2-3 cases even group assignments.
When you work in a group with someone, even you didn't know them really before the project by the end you might now a lot about them.
The problem with me is I can't control my temper. Maybe I want everyone to work like I do. And that isn't possible. Everyone has their own style of working and their very own style of studying, understanding concepts, reaching a conclusion. You can't make them like you. If that was possible it would weave a bigger problem.
I can't handle people. I can't make people work. I'd rather do the work myself. But you can't do everything can you?
I have worked in some very nice groups. But the problem is again my temper.
In this last year of ours, I think I have made more foes than friends, hurt more people than I would have fancied. These groups have created such walls between us. Should it be like this? Not, at all.
I just don't know what to do.
When you are working with people who work when they want to work who don't work when they don't want to work, what should you do with them. Let them be. or make them work in a manner (this manner is a complete mystery to me) that they would think that it was their own idea to start working. what to do? should you shout at them? should you complain? what the hell should you do???

2 comments:

Suboorah said...

yaar complain is not the solution because believe me you no one is going to accept his/her mistake
unless they are curteous enough:p which is not a common thing ne more , all you have to do dear is try to absorb sumthings i knw its difficult but still n then later on when ball is in ur court make those people realize tht u mean sumthing even if they dont realize it then leave it we have to work yaar do ur work juss chill !!!! n dont degrade ur self dear i wonder who cannot work with u...

Originally Posted on:
November 25, 2007 12:48 AM

Ayesha Baig said...

I guess what most of people do mixed their feelings with their work and even started judging people by their preformance instead of their frndshp
Its a common things now -a-days as we are moving into tough competitions day by day( everyday we have new challanges, to accomplish, new innovaions to make in order to polish our selves for our pactical lives and do our best and have best). we are losing those people who might be not as good as others are in academics but precious then pearls frm the point of being a human being / frnd
and its a proverb that
A friend in need is a friend indeed:)

well cutting off my crap in short , i would like to comments that"when we will stop mising our interestes with our feelings, we will find again friends forever:) "

Originally Posted on:
February 17, 2008 10:41 AM