Friday, February 15, 2008

Still thinking of a title for this one... :)

I have always been impressed by brilliant people...... but it's just till I start knowing them..... and then I think they are no more different than me.

There was this girl in my school, my class mate, and she was good at practically everything. Name any thing and she'll excel at it. From studies to extra curricular activities, from singing to acting, from sports to comparing. From this to that.... in short everything. And I was utterly impressed by her. I wanted to become friends with her (embarrased by this confession, but let me tell you I have never really been friends with any intelligent people, cheetahs as I like to call them, or maybe I don't put my friends under the Einstein List, even if they are really genius. So intelligence is not what I look for in people, coz for me every person is talented). But when I did get to know her I came to know that she was just like other people. No; no two people in the world are similar, everyone is different in their own perfect way. But it's just that intelligent people don't live in a different part of the world either. Don't really know how to explain this.

Sometimes I am content with my life (and that is just sometimes), I thank Allah for blessing me with everything. So what if I don't belong to the elite cohort. I still have a great life mashaAllah. Allah has blessed me with everything before I even thought I needed it. I feel happy with myself, I feel happy with my life.
This is the time, when I hate people who are complaining about their lives. I sit with them and try to explain to them that their lives are better than others.
I have this friend who sometimes start wishing that she was dead. And all I want at that moment is really kill her so that she would learn her lesson. But isn't this something we all sometimes wish for without even realizing the stark reality of what we are asking for.
Listening to this my mother would try to tell me that I haven't done much good in my life to make my after life any good. And I would become more depressed at the prospect.

(I started on a different note and think I have gone somewhere else)

So at other times when I am not so happy with what I have got. Sometimes when I wanted something else and got something completely different, I complain, forgetting that just the other day I was scolding someone for being so 'nashukray' (ungrateful).

It may seem very childish to you, but sometimes when I am not getting the results I expected, I become depressed like something really wrong has happened with me. I start complaining, I become irritating and everything bad. And this is the time I wish I was as smart as other people, more particularly the people who managed to get good results.
And then when I survive this so-called crisis of my life, I start feeling good again.
And then when I see some one behaving in an improper fashion (won't shed any light upon this), I thank God that I am not like them, forgetting completely that I do the same, I too hurt others, and never realize it.

So in the end..... we all are the same yet very different from each other.
Some of us realize that whatever they've got is good enough for them, they have been blessed with something and they should go on and help others, these are the people who have learnt the golden rule of happiness "live with what you have, be satisfied with whatever you have got". These are the people who make the most of what they have.

I would like to mention here about one my friends.
This girl joined our campus after I think the 5th semester.
I didn't know her very well then, I still don't I guess.
One day, I just asked for the sake of making a very short conversation, instead of just the usual 'salam dua' thing. I asked: "How's life"
And she replied with a sweet smile on her face, the smile she almost always has on: "Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic".
And then again, without thinking, and just for making the conversation a little longer instead of abruptly ending it, and because I just love talking with anyone who would listen and care to reply, I stated:
"You have to smile na? no matter how much wrong things go".
I didn't really expect her to agree, even reply to this. But she did:
"Yup, coz if I make a sad face, everyone would get worried about me, especially my parents."
And this is what finally stopped me talking. To this I had no reply.
But it got me thinking of how I never think in this way. If I am feeling low, I make sure everyone around me knows that, although this is all unintentional. I just can't get myself to smile, when I don't feel like it. And this friend of mine, who happens to be of almost my age, just about more than one month younger, and she has learnt to smile in any circumstance. She does complain about her life sometimes, but not as much as I do. She always amazes me with her little stories of problems of her life. These problems are the ones, all of us face, these are the problems I face too, but I never do that with as much courage as she does and again with a smile on her face.
This little dialogue of ours, really got me to like her......

And then there are others like me, who have nothing better than to complain about their lives and about others. Unfortunate people who continue doing this even when they know it's a great big sin.
But in spite of these differences I still sometimes think that everyone is the same at least to some 0.000001 extent. We have all been blessed with some things, some amazing talents, and we all think that we have been deprived of a lot. And some of us only want to get to that deprived part, we try to just get hold of the things we don't have as soon as possible. I am not saying this is a bad thing, it's just that in this race we ignore the things we already have, evading the chances of a much better life, I guess.
But who am I to talk about such things?????
I am just a talker. :)

No comments: