Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Marks Theory

Back in Bachelors we waited for results and dreaded them at the same time. But at least I had a category of good and bad marks. But in Masters the very thick line between what are good marks and what are bad marks has not just gone thin, but it has vanished completely. I don't have any concept in my mind now which defines good marks.
This Tuesday, one of our Professors showed us our Mid-term copies. I sorted through the answer scripts, looking for my roll number, fetched my copy and of course my eyes automatically went to the section where marks are entered.
'Hmm 64 out of 70,, hmm not bad'
(whereas in Bachelors it would have been
'Coollll yaar, I got 64 out of 70, I mean, come on yaar, SEVENTY.. SIXTY-FOUR SEVENTY')
As I walked back to my seat with the copy in my hands, I realized it wasn't 70, it was 90. And still the expression remained the same, 'hmmm, not bad'. Whereas in Bachelors it would have been...
'GOD!!!! 64 out of 90. I have practically FLUNKED my mid term. How would I ever recover in finals? And how many marks would I realistically be able to obtain in Finals, when we would have the entire course, and this time it wasn't even half the course. I would have more to study......'
And the depression phase would have gone for the entire day. And resurface again before the finals.

I don't know if it happens with everyone or not, but it sure is happening with me... Am I normal?? :P Please, don't answer that, I don't even wanna know the answer to that. :P :)

No comments: