Friday, May 9, 2008

Post Back: Data Warehousing's last class

I came here to write about PROCOM.net '08, but as I glanced at my last post and saw the list of the topics I wanted to write about, I saw this topic "Data Warehousing's last class" and I thought, "Naaa.... this is worth writing about, I should go ahead with this one first".

Khair, so Data Warehousing's last class happened to be many student's last class of bachelors as well, it was my second last class of bachelors, as I had Compiler too.

I entered the class late, I wish I could have attended right from the very beginning so I could know how this topic started, whether students asked him or he started giving this lecture himself. Whatever got him started, I can call it the best Data Warehousing class, in fact the most interesting class of the semester. We didn't do much of data warehousing, all we discussed was job. Rafi bhai started giving us pointers, tried to clear our confusions and gave us advice on job related issues.
I'll try to jot down the points he discussed because I would like to remember them:
(these are NOT in the order in which they were discussed)

-Rafi Bhai said and it was amazing hearing him say this "Har banday ko har cheez nahi aati", (not everyone can know everything). I said it was amazing hearing him say that because I always perceived Rafi bhai as a person who wants everyone to know everything, to be good at everything, but he proved me to be wrong.
He said that he sends his students for interview and then people call him up and say "yaar Rafi bhai kaisay bachay ko bhej diya tha, isay to kuch bhi nahi aata tha" and I tell them "did you ask him what he knows??? Why didn't you??"
It really felt good hearing him say that, because most of the people don't realize that. We are in our last semester yaar, we don't know everything. Hell, no one knows everything.

-He advised us to not to talk much to our colleagues at least for the first 6 months. He said that during this period you should be analyzing people. And that, the competition we were in all during these 4 years, is very different from the competition we'll be in during job. He said that I know people who studied together for 4 years, talked to each other, spent time with each other, got job at the same place, but eventually professional jealousy developed between them and they ended up harming each other.

-He advised to exercise. :)

-He advised us not to leave our religions behind in pursuit of success.

-He informed that there are also many diseases, which I (by I, I mean me, Bina) assume would be due to sitting in front of the computer all day long. He mentioned a disease which was I guess something related to tension, in it he said people think about their projects even while sleeping. That commenced an argument between Nazia and Rafi bhai, because according to Nazia we have that disease already. Personally, I agree with her. I won't call it actually a disease but its something we are already suffering from and not just in our last years, but it has started a long time ago. I remember during checkers, even when I closed my eyes I would see the Checkers board. Woh bhi din thay.


And there were many other things that he said. I'll continue adding them when I remember.

2 comments:

Muhammad Qasim Pasta said...

I am one of the believers who believes that we should not learn the things for money! In fact, expectations of students are entirely different than ground realities.

I realize that you are also the student of Computer Science like me. But, unfortunately like all other students we wish to learn the tools instead of the technology behind these tools. What I believe it is good to learn that how to design/develop a technology instead how to use a tool.

I have been seeing the evolution of IT field in Pakistan since short courses, diplomas and now in form of degrees. But we failed to make a transformation in our approaches. The difference is once they were producing who had to obey the world ... and now we have brains who can direct the world...

I have been advocating since my first day in university that there must be a difference between a diploma holder and computer scientist ... can u tell me this difference?


Originally Posted on:
May 12, 2008 2:44 PM

Nazia Gilani said...

That was such a refreshing post...reading all this makes me feel that i have forgotten everything...specially would now remember not talking too much to colleagues...i think i talk too much to them...and i have already trusted too many of them...with my thoughts...which also includes thoughts on systems and the ppl here:P


Originally Posted on:
September 26, 2008 2:47 AM